1. Text size
  2. Contrast


DIY and making improvements to your home

We’re happy for you to decorate the inside of your home, hang pictures and other minor improvements. If you’re planning to do any DIY please check out our asbestos page first.

You can also change things at your home that are your responsibility, but for larger changes you’ll need our written permission (see below).

If you want to fit disabled facilities please read our fitting disability equipment and facilities page.

Common alterations and improvements

We’ve prepared a list of common home improvements that we may give permission for and others we won’t. List of common home improvement requests [PDF] 108KB

How to ask for permission

Please email or write to us and include the following:

  • What you want to do
  • Any plans, drawings and specifications
  • The details of who will do the work

If you’ve already had work done please contact us as we can give permission retrospectively.

If your change will require approval by the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation (LGCHF), please download and complete an External Alterations - Application Form from the LGCHF website but send this to us first.

Reasons we might not give permission

We may refuse permission if the alteration will:

  • Cost us money to maintain now or in the future
  • Reduce the value of the property
  • Make the property less safe
  • Alter the structure or layout of property

Make sure you get the certificate

We’ll need to see the relevant certification that works have been carried out safely by an qualified individual. For example, if you had a new electric socket fitted we would need to see the Part P certificate for the installation signed by the qualified electrician who carried out the work.

This website uses cookies.  Find out which ones and why on our cookies and privacy page.  Click the button if you agree to the use of cookies.

Change cookie settings: