1. Text size
  2. Contrast


Fitting disabled facilities

If you have a disability or long-term health condition, it might be that with some changes to your home you can increase or keep your independence. On the other hand, it might be that we can help you find a more suitable home for your needs. We have a number of homes that have already been adapted for people with disability requirements.

Getting started

First, contact the social services department of your local council. They will assign an Occupational Therapist to assess your needs and make a recommendation for the facilities you need.

You won’t need to contact us if you want to use equipment or facilities that are not fixed to the floors, walls or ceilings.

Small changes

Small changes include installing things like:

  • Hand/grab rails
  • An over-bath shower
  • A step up to your front or back door

After receiving the Occupational Therapist’s recommendation we’ll work with you to install the facilities.

If you want to fund and arrange the above yourself, please make sure you get our permission first.

Larger changes

Larger jobs include things like installing hoists, stair lifts, ramps, wet rooms etc and multiple requests.

After receiving the Occupational Therapist’s recommendation, we’ll work with you, your local council and/or any other organisations involved to plan the work.

How long will it take?

Please be aware that due to the cost and complexity of larger changes, they can’t always be approved and can have long waiting times. We’ll discuss this with you when we receive the recommendation from your Occupational Therapist.

Means testing

Some councils have introduced means-testing for larger works. This means that depending on your financial circumstances, you may need to contribute towards the cost of the work.

This website uses cookies.  Find out which ones and why on our cookies and privacy page.  Click the button if you agree to the use of cookies.

Change cookie settings: