1. Text size
  2. Contrast


Making alterations and improvements to your property

If your property was originally bought from the council or us (even if this was before you bought it), you’ll need to request our written permission to make alterations or improvements that will change the appearance or structure of your property (including changes you have made in the past). This includes things like:

  • Replacing doors and windows
  • Installing a driveway
  • Building or removing any walls
  • Adding extensions, porches and conservatories
  • Painting or cladding the outside walls

(If you rent your property from us please visit the DIY and making improvements page in the tenants section.)

How to make your request

To make a request please email or write to us and include the following:

  • Your full name, address, email address and phone number(s)
  • A description of what you want to do
  • Any plans, drawings and specifications

You must request permission before you start the work.

If you're a leaseholder in Letchworth, and your change will require approval by the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation (LGCHF), please download and complete an External Alterations - Application Form from the LGCHF website but send this to us first with the above information.


The charge for permission is £100 per request, unless it's a large change (see below), in which case it's £300.

If you only make the request after carrying out the work the charge is £250, or £450 for large changes.

Large changes

Includes things like:

  • Erecting any solid-built building like a new house, garage or outbuilding

  • Any form of extension - front, back, side, or porch

  • Loft conversion

  • Internal structural changes like removing or creating solid internal walls

What we’ll do and when

Once we’ve received your request, we’ll respond in 10 working days.

You’ll receive a letter from us confirming that we've received your request, how you can make your payment and what will happen next.

This website uses cookies.  Find out which ones and why on our cookies and privacy page.  Click the button if you agree to the use of cookies.

Change cookie settings: