Timeline of events for the regeneration of John Barker Place
In January 2021, our development partner Jarvis Contracting Ltd started preparing the site of the old play area for the building work and put hoarding up around the area which is Phase 1 of the development. They have also included a contractor’s area at the rear of the site as shown in the preparation phase plan below.
The old play area is now closed to the public and a new pedestrian route has been put in place around the site area from Freemans Close so residents can still access John Barker Place.
Here’s a summary of the work that will be carried out:
Upcoming work June 2021
- As part of the installation of the new water supply for the regeneration at John Barker Place, the pavement outside the Phase 1 site at Mattocke Road has been completed and pavement reinstated. Installation work will take place on the John Barker Place side on 15 June, for approximately 3 days.
- Drainage works continues on the access road between Michael Muir House and 25 John Barker Place until 2 July
- Roads / car park being developed to formation level within contractors’ compound
- Electrical substation base for Phases 1 &2
- Progression of concrete frame to first floor level for Phase 1.
Our construction partner, Jarvis has shared aerial pictures showing progress on the development of John Barker Place in early May.
Overall development phasing
Phase 1 will see us provide new homes and shops on the site of the old play area at John Barker Place and we expect this to be completed by Summer 2022. The second phase (Phase 2A) will see new homes provided in the current block of flats and shops beside the play area and we expect these to be available by Autumn 2023.
We have also received outline planning permission for additional new homes in a third phase of the development and we will be able to share more information around proposals for these homes later in 2021. Here’s a summary of the phasing: