How to prevent frozen boiler pipes
Due to the decrease in temperature, many UK households may experience frozen boiler condensate pipes.
You may be able to fix this yourself by pouring hot water (not boiling) onto the plastic condensate pipe work outside to see if the boiler starts to work.
Wait about 10 minutes and then check the boiler (you may need to reset the boiler to get it going again).
To help stop your pipes freezing, follow our handy tips below:
- Disconnect garden hoses and drain outdoor pipes as they can cause major damage if they are left connected.
- Cover outside taps using an insulation kit.
- Keep garage doors closed if you have any pipes in there to keep temperatures higher.
- settle will annually service your boiler to make sure it’s working correctly. If you notice any leaks or drips please let us know.
- Find out where your internal stop tap is and make sure it works. They are usually placed under the sink and can be closed by turning clockwise.
- If the weather is very cold, consider raising the temperature on your thermostat.
If you have any concerns about your boiler, please call us on 0330 343 0016.
Published: 17 December 2018