1. Text size
  2. Contrast


Noise from neighbours

Normal living sounds from things like hoovers, washing machines, children, closing doors and movement are not considered excessive; but sometimes loud noise especially at night can be.

What you can do

If you’re experiencing excessive noise from neighbours, start by having a friendly chat with them. They may not realise the impact their noise is having on you and this can be the best way of resolving the problem.

If you’re worried about your neighbour’s safety, please contact the Police.

Contact your local council

If things don’t improve report it to the environmental health department at your local council.

Check out their website for advice and guidance. This will give you a clear idea of what they can do to help.

They may ask you to keep a diary of the noise including:

  • The date and time of the noise
  • What kind of noise it is
  • The impact on you and your family including how it makes you feel

What we can do

If you’re experiencing problems with noise please report it to us.

We’ll act where we can, but we’re unable to take action against one of our tenants without the:

  • Support of the environmental health department of your local council
  • Evidence you gather by working with them

We can offer mediation. This is where we meet with you and your neighbours together and try to help you work things out and come to an agreement.

This website uses cookies.  Find out which ones and why on our cookies and privacy page.  Click the button if you agree to the use of cookies.

Change cookie settings: