1. Text size
  2. Contrast


Setting up the essentials in your new home

Regular payments

When moving into your new home the first thing you need to do is organise payment of the essentials, such as rent, council tax, gas, electricity and water supplies.

If you pay your utility bills by direct debit you will need to contact the suppliers and renegotiate these for your new address.

Paying your rent

Ensure you are aware as soon as possible of the cost of your new rent. Your Neighbourhood Officer can help you with this. Discuss with them how you intend to pay your rent and any concerns you have about benefit entitlement.

If you need to claim benefits

If you are going to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit it is a priority that you make the application as soon as you have accepted the property. Failure to do so could mean they will not begin payment from the start of your tenancy, any shortfall will be your responsibility to pay.

It is also important that you tell your local authority when your tenancy is due to start so they can advise you how much council tax you will need to pay.

What benefits am I entitled to?

People often miss out on receiving the maximum benefits available to them. Don’t let this be you. 

There is a huge range of benefits you could be entitled to. If you are unsure about what you may be entitled to ask your Neighbourhood officer for help. If your situation is complex they can refer you to a Citizens Advice Bureau money advice officer who is trained to provide specialist support and advice.

We part fund a worker to ensure our customers have quick access to the right help at the time it is needed.

Benefit entitlements change regularly you may be missing out without realising it. Always check this website for further information and we will let you know about changes as soon as we know.

Now read our guides to setting up your water, gas and electricity supplies and furnishing your home