Managed migration is coming to Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire

Universal Credit logo

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) have announced that residents in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire who are receiving tax credits ONLY will soon be invited to switch to Universal Credit (UC). This is known as ‘managed migration’.

From February 2024, the DWP will be sending out ‘migration notices’, giving claimants 3 months to make their UC claim before their tax credit ends. 

Couples with a joint claim for tax credits will each receive a migration notice and must both apply for UC.

Guidance for people who have received a migration notice can be found here

ImportantYou do not need to do anything until you receive the migration notice

Some claimants may be worse off by moving onto UC. If your UC entitlement is less than your previous entitlement on legacy benefits, an additional amount will be included in your UC to cover the difference – this is known as ‘transitional protection’. To be entitled to transitional protection, you must wait until you receive the migration notice before making your claim for UC.

For more information about how you could be affected please click here.

Once you have received the migration notice, you must make your claim for UC within 3 months by the ‘deadline date’.


If you receive a migration notice and think you will need help, you can contact the DWP’s managed migration helpline on 0800 169 0328. Citizens Advice also have a help to claim service – you can find out more about this by clicking here or calling 0800 144 8444.

If you are having issues making a claim or you are concerned about your rent account, please contact us.