Disability and mobility facilities

Disability and mobility facilities

If you have a disability or limited mobility, it might be that with some changes or adaptations to your home you can increase or keep your independence. On the other hand, it might be that we can help you find a more suitable home for your needs. We have properties that have already been adapted for people with these needs.

Step 1

First, you’ll need to ask your county council for an Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment. This is where an OT assess your needs and writes a report recommending the facilities you need.

If you live in Hertfordshire contact the Adult Care Services department at Hertfordshire County Council. If you live outside Hertfordshire, contact the adult services department of your local council.

Step 2

Small changes

These are things like hand/grab rails, raised toilet seats etc.

We give these types of changes to our contractor. These are usually completed in 4-6 weeks after we receive the OT’s report, unless it’s been requested as a high priority by the OT.

Large changes

Larger jobs include installing things like wet rooms, stair lifts, driveways etc.

These jobs are managed by the Herts Home Improvement Agency (HHIA) on behalf of the local authority.

They’ll contact you with information about their process and how the work is funded.

The waiting time will be longer due to the work involved and it can take between one to two years to complete.

Removing facilities

If you no longer need disability and mobility facilities and want to remove them you can request permission from us to remove them.