Disability and mobility facilities

Disability and mobility facilities

If you have a disability or limited mobility, it might be that with some changes or adaptations to your home you can increase or keep your independence. On the other hand, it might be that we can help you find a more suitable home for your needs. We have properties that have already been adapted for people with these needs.

Step 1

First, you’ll need to ask your county council for an Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment. This is where an OT assess your needs and writes a report recommending the facilities you need.

If you live in Hertfordshire contact the Adult Care Services department at Hertfordshire County Council. If you live outside Hertfordshire, contact the adult services department of your local council.

Step 2

Once we’ve received the OT report, and we’ll arrange for a contractor to install the facilities they’ve recommended.

We’ll keep you updated throughout the process until the work is finished.

How long will it take?

Small changes

These are things like hand/grab rails, raised toilet seats etc.

These are usually completed in 4-6 six weeks after we receive the OT’s report unless it’s been requested as a high priority by the OT.

Large changes

Larger jobs include installing things like wet rooms, stair lifts, driveways etc.

Because of the cost, we refer these jobs to the Herts Home Improvement Agency (HHIA) who have funding for these larger changes.

We’ll will send you a letter with some information about their process.

The waiting time will be longer due to the work involved and it can take between one to two years to complete.

Removing facilities

If you no longer need disability and mobility facilities and want to remove them you can request permission from us to remove them.