Smoke alarms are vital for keeping you and your family safe. We want to keep customers safe in your homes and will carry out a maintenance check on all smoke alarms every five years as part of our EICR electrical safety check.
Here are some tips for making sure your smoke alarms are always ready to help protect you and your family:
- Test your smoke alarms monthly by pressing and holding the ‘test’ button. Listen for the alarm to sound to be sure everything’s working properly.
- The majority of our smoke detectors are hard wired. If your smoke alarm is battery operated, we suggest changing the batteries regularly, perhaps on the same day you turn your clocks back.
- Make sure everyone in the home understands the sound of the smoke alarm and knows how best to respond.
- Clean away any cobwebs or other dust and dirt from your smoke alarm.
- If a smoke alarm keeps going off even when there isn’t any smoke in the air, don’t disable it – investigate the cause of the false alarms.
Please contact us if you have any concerns about your smoke alarm or fire safety in your home.