Have your say on investment in the Westmill neighbourhood
As part of our ongoing commitment to improving your neighbourhood we need your help. We would like to support the local community to help us understand where investment is needed and how we can ensure the Westmill neighbourhood is a great place to live.
We recently ran a survey asking residents in the Westmill estate where you think investment is needed to help make a difference to the lives of everyone living there. Below, we share the main outcomes and inital things that we can do to help. Some areas are the responsibilities of other local organisations and we remain committed to working with them to help ensure the Westmill neighbourhood is a great place to live.
Top 3 priorities where you want to see improvements
Speeding & parking
- Cars speeding, particularly late at night
- Concerns around double parking and lack of available spaces.
- Poor lighting - some residents feel scared to go out when it gets dark
- Feeling of intimidation by groups of youths and concerns of anti-social behaviour
- Alleyways in need of attention - mainly anti-social behaviour and poor lighting
- Fly tipping, dog fouling across the estate
- Alleyways aren’t being maintained and confusion over accountability.
Increase a sense of community
Residents have described Westmill as a 'tightknit community where generations of the same family reside', but would love to see this being built upon. We heard that residents would value more activities for the young and old, as well as more opportunities to help with loneliness.
Many residents also pointed out the community centre as a great space to do this.
- Area improvement: Residents have requested better and more accessible paths, with more plants and benches and improved ownership of the alleyways
- Grounds maintenance: Improve with better tree pruning, regular hedge cutting and weed removal
- Sustainability: More charging points for electric cars, recycling and a focus on sustainable energy
- Home improvement: Some residents would like more home improvements, help around garden maintenance and improved fencing to replace the chainlink.
Things we’re working on now
We’ve listened to your feedback and here are some things that we’re doing now.
- Replacing broken washing lines on John Barker Place, Dugdale Court and Moss Way
- Removing moss in communal areas where the washing lines are during winter/spring 2022
- Repairing cracked paths at John Barker Place
- Organising clean-up days to gve residents the opportunity to dispose of hourshold waste
- Improving alleyways' appearance
Come and talk to us
We want to hear more from you on the things that have already been suggested. We’ve organised two drop-in sessions giving you the opportunity to come and share your views, exchange ideas on ways we can work together to improve on areas in need of investment.
Sessions will take place on Saturday, 19 February 10 – 1pm and Thursday, 24 February 3-7pm in the Purple room at the Westmill Community Centre, Rear of John Barker Place, Hitchin, SG5 2PG.
If you are not able to make these sessions and would like to get in touch, please send us an email or call us on 0330 343 0016.
We will keep you updated as plans progress. Up to date information and outcomes will also be available on this page.