DIY and making improvements to your home

DIY and making improvements to your home

We’re happy for you to decorate the inside of your home, hang pictures and other minor improvements. If you’re planning to do any DIY please check out our asbestos page first.

You can also change things at your home that are your responsibility, but for larger changes you’ll need our written permission (see below).

If you want to fit disabled facilities please see below.

Common alterations and improvements

We’ve prepared a list of common home improvements that we may give permission for and others we won’t. List of common home improvement requests [PDF]

How to ask for permission

Please email or write to us and include the following:

  • What you want to do
  • Any plans, drawings and specifications
  • The details of who will do the work

If you’ve already had work done please contact us as we can give permission retrospectively.

If your change will require approval by the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation (LGCHF), please download and complete an External Alterations – Application Form from the LGCHF website but send this to us first.

Reasons we might not give permission

We may refuse permission if the alteration will:

  • Cost us money to maintain now or in the future
  • Reduce the value of the property
  • Make the property less safe
  • Alter the structure or layout of the property

Make sure you get the certificate

We’ll need to see the relevant certification that works have been carried out safely by an qualified individual. For example, if you had a new electric socket fitted we would need to see the Part P certificate for the installation signed by the qualified electrician who carried out the work.

Disability and mobility adaptations to your home

We know it can be challenging when your or your family’s needs change and your home is longer meeting your needs. We want to help by being clearer about what we’re able to do and not able to do.

When you need minor aids in your homes like hand/grab rails, we are able to do this for you. Please contact us in the same way you would for a repair job.

When you need a major adaptation, like installing a wet room or an extension – normally this is the responsibility of the local authority.

If you live in the North Herts District Council area, you’ll need to contact their Home Improvement Agency on: 01438 843 467 / 01438 843 948 or email They will ask an occupational therapist (OT) to assess your needs. The OT support your request from start to finish to make sure you get the right equipment for your needs.

If your property falls under another council area, please contact us and we’ll provide you with the relevant information.

Keeping you safe

Repair responsibilities