Whether you’re employed or unemployed, there could be financial help and benefits you’re entitled to. Don’t miss out! We can help you get to grips with your benefits.

Universal credit (UC)

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living cost and it will replace some of the old-style benefits including: Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. Find out more about Universal credit on GOV.UK.

Claiming Universal Credit is usually done online, but if you need support, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Moving to UC under managed migration

If you live in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, migration notices are being sent by the Department for Work and Pensions with details about managed migration to Universal Credit. Read our news story for more details. If you are having issues making a claim or you are concerned about your rent account, please contact us.
If you live outside of Hertfordshire or Bedfordshire you can expect to be moved to UC at some point. You would be sent details directly by the Department for Work and Pensions.

When you’re moved on to UC, this is known as a managed migration. Here’s a useful video about managed migrations [YouTube].

Find out more about completing the move to Universal Credit.

If you turn 66

Universal Credit is only for people aged 18-65. Once you’re 66 you’ll no longer be entitled to claim it and you’ll need to apply for Housing Benefit through your local council.

This can be done up to 13 weeks before your 66th birthday. Please note you may also be entitled to pension credit as a top-up depending on what your pension amount is.

About other benefits

You can find out more about all benefits on GOV.UK.

Bedroom tax

If you have a spare bedroom, your Housing Benefit, or the housing costs element of Universal Credit might be reduced. This is sometimes called the ‘Bedroom Tax’, ‘under-occupation penalty’ or the ‘removal of the spare room subsidy’.


The number of bedrooms allowed for children depends on how old they are and their sex.

The bedroom entitlement rules assume that:

  • two children aged 0-9 can share a bedroom whatever their sex
  • two children aged 0-15 can share a bedroom if they are the same sex
  • children aged 16-19 are counted as needing their own bedroom.

Benefit cap

The benefit cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit you can get. It applies to most people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age.

Disability and health problems

If you have a disability or ongoing health problem that limits your ability to work, you could be entitled to additional benefits.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP can be claimed at the same time as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or the Limited Capability for Work element (LCFW) of UC.

Here’s a useful video about PIP [YouTube].

Carers allowance

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

Find out about Carer’s Allowance.

You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for. You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income.

Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as rent or service charges.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension, and you can get this even if you have other income or savings.

Find out about Pension Credit.

Budgeting and benefits calculator

Check your account balance online

Create a website account